LINCOLNSHIRE WOMEN'S GOLF ASSOCIATION
HANDICAP LEAGUE RULES 2022
1. Four ball matches only.
2. Eight players in each team, all players must have a minimum of five scores recorded on their WHS record in the 12 months prior to the match.
3. All matches to start from the first tee and to be played over 18 holes. Matches to be played to a natural conclusion i.e. 3&2 etc.
4. In each Division teams will play both home and away matches within the year. The home team will offer a minimum of 3 dates for every match to include both weekday and weekend dates.
5. To be played off a maximum Handicap Index of 20.4 Any player over Handicap Index 20.4 must play off Handicap Index 20.4.
6. A Captain must play the lowest handicap team available at the time of team selection one week before the match is due to be played. The teams must play in Course Handicap order, selected by Handicap Index. In the event of several players having the same Course Handicap, exact Handicap Index are to be used to differentiate players. If two or more players have the same exact Handicap Index, then it is the captain’s choice of who plays in the team and which order they play in.
7. Matches to be played with 90% of the Course Handicap of each player (then take the full difference between those, against the lowest player), for example
Player 1 course handicap 15/PH 14
Player 2 course handicap 21/PH 19 gets 5 shots
Player 3 course handicap 25/PH 23 gets 9 shots
Player 4 course handicap 29/PH 26 gets 12 shots
8. At the beginning of each season any member belonging to more than one affiliated club may play for either club in the scratch or handicap league, but she must stay with that club for the year in that particular league. A player may only represent one club in any one season.
9. Clubs entering two or more teams:
A player may play in any of their Club handicap league teams, but only play a maximum of 8 matches.
It is suggested that Team Captains should select the players for the B Team from the 9th ranked handicap player as before, to ensure that A Team players are not given initial preference for all B Team matches. If the B Team cannot field a full team then players from the A Team can be selected as long as they don't exceed the rule of playing more than 8 times. It is expected that, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, that A Team players should not be chosen over regular B Team players, except in extreme circumstances. Those clubs with a C Team should make their original selection from the 17th ranked handicap player and as with the B Team above, if the C Team cannot field a full team then players from the B Team may be selected as long as they do not exceed the rule of playing more than 8 times.
10. If, on the day, a team cannot field 8 players, players are missing or late they must still play in handicap order, as in Rule 6 above, moving down the order of play until the missing player arrives. The game in which the player is missing plays last against original opponents, if necessary one player playing two players. However if a missing player arrives after her team member has teed off she can join in the match at the next or subsequent hole. If both players have still not arrived 10 mins after the rest of the team have teed off then the game is deemed forfeit and will be entered on the score sheet as a 10/8 loss. This also applies if a player or pair is disqualified. Rule 23.4 applies.
11. Home Club (the Captain) to be responsible for sending the results on official match sheets, as soon as possible to the League Secretary:
- Mrs Polly Brettle, 4 Somerby Green, Somerby, Barnetby, N Lincs DN38 6EY
Tel: 01652 628225
Do not send by photo. A scanned document sent by email is preferred, or by post.
12. Points will be awarded for each match as follows: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. In a conceded match winners will receive 2 points, the loser 0 points. No count back of games or holes from the conceded match. In a conceded game the winners will be awarded the conceded remaining holes.
13. Matches to be played between 29th March and 31st August 2022. In the event of an arranged match being called off prior to play starting the teams should rearrange the date. If after three attempts have failed because of inclement weather or repeated course closure, the two team captains may ask for the match to be halved and one point awarded to each team. This will be at the discretion of the County League Secretary. In the event of a match being halted once started due to inclement weather and the course being closed, teams should attempt to re-arrange as above. Only Team Captains can call off the match whilst it is in progress, and should reschedule if there is opportunity to do so. Individual pairings may not agree to an honourable half. In the event of the ill-health of a player during a match, the remaining player should continue the match, or the pairing to concede the match.
14. The Divisional Winners will be determined by the team with the most points. In the event of a tie on points the winner will be determined in order by:- a) Individual games won b) Holes won c) League Committee
15. The winning club of Division 1 North will play the winning club of Division 1 South on a neutral course for the title Lincolnshire Women’s League champions. A club must field their lowest Handicap Index eight players available on the day (subject to Rule 9 above). All players must have played at least 3 times for the winning team, to be considered for the Final Match. In the event of a tie, the first pair of each team will play a sudden death playoff from the first hole to determine the winner. Strokes will be applicable. Caddies may be used in the final. Clubs must not ask for the courtesy of the course hosting the final.
In the event that the B Team/C Team is the winner of Division 1 North or South, the players should be chosen from the 9th/17th ranked handicap player as before, and all players must have played at least 3 times for the B/C Team.
If a player has already played 8 times for the leagues, they may play in the Final Match, as long as they have played 3 times for the winning team.
16. Players must walk at all times during league matches unless permitted to use a golf buggy by the League Secretary. Permission will be given to those players having a current medical condition on the day of the relevant match, who have given prior notification to the League Secretary and the opposing team Captain/Representative. The Association will take each player on trust and will not enquire into the nature of any said medical condition, nor will it require evidence by way of a medical certificate as proof of such a condition. The buggy shall be for the use of the player and her equipment. Hiring of the buggy shall be the sole responsibility of the player. Players are expected to familiarise themselves with the Health and Safety policies of the host club in so far as it relates to ride on buggies.
17. Distance Measuring Devices may be used in County League matches.
18. Any club wishing to enter or withdraw from the league for the following year must do so IN WRITING BY 31ST JULY.
19. The League Sub Committee shall consist of the County Captain, County Vice Captain, Immediate Past Captain, League Secretary, Secretary (ex officio) and Representatives from each of the County Divisions currently serving on the Executive Committee.